Thursday, September 3, 2009

Friendship Day








It's funny but I didn't get to know until Aug 6th that Aug 2nd was "Friendship Day!". My cell was switched off for two reasons a) battery trouble , b) I often go through "I'm sick of cell phone" phase!! ;) Thanks to my friend for having called me. She thought I was angry with her ( we couldn't speak for more than a month, she'd been busy ) and hence didn't wish her. Lol, how was I to wish when I was lost in my own world, away from T.V, cell phone and newspaper. ( I don't have much of a liking for either one of them!) Had it not been for her the idea to write something on this topic may not have struck me. ;p



Sometimes I wonder if it makes sense to come up with days like Mother's Day, Father's Day, Friendship Day etc. It occurred to me then that these can indeed be wonderful opportunities to show your loved one's how much you care for them, or how much they mean to you. But if you aren’t able to do so, it doesn't mean you love them any less. In case the other person does get upset for the same it could indicate two things -:
a) Perhaps the relation is fragile ( maybe because you don't really know each other)
b) The person loves you and was pretty sure you'd express your feelings through a sweet gesture ( be it any relationship) We are often taught how expectations become the bane of a relation but the thing is we can’t expect things from strangers!! ;p




So, what is Friendship Day all about? Celebrating old bonds, forging new one's, remembering chance encounters that left a deep impact, regretting the one's that could never blossom fully or being grateful for all of them - even the acquaintances you've made over a period of time ? Umm...Perhaps all? :) Well, that's exactly what I'd like to do this month. In the past few years I've had the pleasure of meeting some rather interesting people. No, I'm not friends with all of them. I'm not in touch with all. But I'm sure they all taught me something. For that I feel blessed and grateful. So, I'd see if can put to paper or computer in this case :p some beautiful memories stored somewhere in the corners of my mind! I'll have to go hunting for them first and shall then put up them up in my upcoming posts as and when the mood strikes.



A friend once said to me “Some friends are for a reason, some for a season and some for a lifetime". Read that carefully, you'll see it's true for everyone. Whenever we start a friendship we feel "Hey we'd be friends forever" Alas! That isn't always true, but it isn't false either. It depends on time, situation, circumstances and speaking from a metaphysical viewpoint - on the lessons you've decided to learn with a soul.



Sometimes we are afraid of committing to a friendship. We feel insecure. "Hey, I lost some good friends in the past, so what's the point in making new friends? I’d lose them too!" If not that we sometimes find our self regretting the commitment we made in the first place - "If it wasn't meant forever, if it had to come to an end, why did we become friends in the first place?" The sad fact is that in the process of complaining about what was and moaning over what could have been, we forget to be grateful for the time we did spend with someone, the memories we did share together. Why not cherish those and the friends we do have? So, what would you choose? To complain/ regret/moan?, or to celebrate/cherish? I've categorized the feelings into two sets so you understand my point better. While the first set symbolizes a destructive attitude, the second indicates a constructive attitude. I'd go with the latter any time!! And also, I'd never stop in my quest to find wonderful friends in life regardless of the disappointments I may encounter off and on. :)



A few days back I read a dilemma voiced out by a girl on a website I had recently joined. " I never understand where an acquaintance ends and a friendship begins", she remarked. "Don't I feel confused about the same thing at times?", I thought. I pondered over her question. I must admit that not just that, sometimes I'm even surprised by the casualness with which people use the term friendship. Can we truly categorize just every person we find our self chit chatting with once in a while as a friend? Even when we hardly discuss any portion of our personal lives with him? Even when we've never shared any of our dreams, hopes, fantasies, aspirations with that person? Think over it, is everyone you end up calling a friend really a friend?



Wouldn't you agree that there's a difference in being friends and being friendly? You may be a friendly person by nature but at the same time, choosy about your friends. Let's see how Oxford defines a "Friend" - 1) "A person you know well and like, and who is not usually a member of your family". 2) "A person who has the same interests and opinions as yourself and who will help and support you". Now, you may like people in general or be helpful or kind but that doesn't necessarily mean that you know them. Also, not everyone supports our ideas, dreams etc nor do we expect them too. You see, friendship isn't called a special bond for nothing! ;)



Generally we find ourselves liking people we have something in common with. It could be interests, ideas, likes/dislikes, values or dreams. For e.g. - if you're a soccer lover you'd naturally be curious to talk to a person who either plays the game or is equally passionate about it. If you are a keen learner you'd like it more when you're around inquisitive or knowledgeable people. It's easy for us to gel with people we can relate to. Like attracts like. At least in this case! ;)
On this note, I’d leave you with you with a video that sums up friendship beautifully. I am sure it’ll touch your heart, just the way it touched mine! Also, it’ll make up for anything I may have left unexpressed. ;)



I’d like to dedicate it to everyone who has ever been a part of my life, has either been a friend, supporter, great acquaintance or an honest critic. And of course to the friends I now have!! Happy Friendship Day to all of you!! Thanks for being there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7d7Ul6PmI]

P.S. - It's an article I wrote for all my friends on 11th Aug. Enjoy! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment