Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tourists in India




It isn’t unusual to spot a few foreigners in an area like Connaught Place or some five star hotel. Upon seeing them have you ever wondered as to what their impression of our country is? Ever felt like finding out what country they belong to or what their lives are like? I don’t know about you but I’ve been bitten by the curiosity bug upon several occasions. It’s fun to interact with people from different cultures, to hear their side of the story. Also, to learn about their perspectives on life and its different aspects. Though the length of the conversation one conducts with them varies depending upon how much you click with an individual.





It’s interesting to note how to a tourist (one from a different country) you sometimes come to represent everything your country and its people are. It’s as if you were the goodwill ambassador for your state or country. So, it never hurts to ask how their trip is going or if they need help with something. Imagine how that’ll make you feel if you were in the other person’s shoes. I am sure you’d appreciate the concern. Sometimes, just a few cheerful words and a smile can suffice. It can make someone’s day. And it’ll help make the other person feel less like an outsider or to put it more politely – a non native. Besides, you might as well be giving the other person a beautiful memory to cherish ;)





I remember speaking to a sweet Danish lady (too bad I don’t remember her name!) outside Sarvannah Bhawan in C.P. If you ever wish to lunch there better be prepared to wait in a queue. Seems like they are much in demand! It was scorching hot. While other people seemed to be getting somewhat restless, she waited patiently in a corner along with her two kids. She bore a calm expression on her face. I questioned if it didn’t bother her to wait for so long. Her husband as she told me was standing in the queue, waiting to book their table. She said she was willing to wait for she didn’t wish to leave without tasting the South Indian food S.B. had to offer. “I’ve been told it’s really good”, she uttered with an enthusiastic smile. My stomach grunted. I couldn't wait for my own turn now! I was feeling starved.





I then asked her about her travelling experience. Much to my surprise they had been staying in India for around three months. They were to leave the next day. It’s interesting how the paths of different souls coincide. I could have not met her. But I’m glad I did. The kids were quite cute especially her son whom she held close in her arms. He was around four years of age. She told me how tired he was of having his cheeks pulled by just about every person who chanced to speak to them. That was a major reason why he wished to return home soon unlike the girl (7 years) who seemed to be enjoying herself and basked in all the attention.




As regards her experience in India she said “Yes it smells (I guess she was referring to some places in particular) and yes they overcharge us but its great. The people have been very friendly” I was amazed to note how she took it all in a stride. Indians are known to be hospitable. And every time I get a confirmation of this fact, I feel proud of my nation and its citizens. I must confess I wasn’t expecting to hear a very positive feedback after the first few lines . Not because I’m a pessimist but because I'm aware that our country is still developing. The mushrooming population, ill managed traffic, cows grazing garbage instead of grass, littered roads (not all areas though) is something you don’t expect them to be used to.





Sorry to have presented such a grim picture but being a citizen it's my duty to weigh the pros and cons. And yes I know I have highlighted just the cons like some glum critic! If you were the host at a party I'm sure you'd take care that everything from food to furniture was upto the mark. You suddenly behave like a flaw detecting machine much to the amusement of the onlookers! Hope you see the point ( winks). It is however a matter of delight to share that most of the foreigners I’ve spoken to till date (online or in person) are all praises for the Indian culture and its values. I am not always observant and am often engrossed in my own thoughts. However if i do notice a few tourists I just smile silently ( can't always talk to everyone lol) and hope that when they leave , they have a lasting impression of India- a land of heritage imprinted on their mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment